Thursday 12 July 2012

Chapter 5


“Where is Khushi? What have you done?” Arnav could hear the worry and anger in Karan’s voice but right now what was important was Khushi. “Look I don’t have time to answer all your questions now. I’ll tell you whatever you want to know just tell me which god damn hotel you’re staying at,” Arnav’s voice was full of anger and Karan could hear it. “Okay, we’re not staying at a hotel. Khushi didn’t know where we were because we came without her. We’re staying at my cousin’s guest house. Here’s the address,” taking mental note of the address Arnav sped off. He couldn’t waste any more time. Khushi needed to get home and she needed to get there now.



The car came to a screeching halt outside the guest house. Karan and Priya had heard the car and opened the door. Arnav had Khushi in his arms and was bringing her inside. “Upstairs first room on the right,” he heard Karan say as he walked inside. He carried Khushi upstairs and couldn’t help looking at her. That sweet, innocent face that had taught him so much. She was mesmerising, beautiful. He didn’t need more than that to describe her. He put her down gently on the bed and pulled the covers over her. Not realising Karan had come up behind him and was standing at the door waiting for him he kneeled down next to the bed and took her hand in his and held it against his chest. He couldn’t stop himself. He had tried so hard to hate her but he just couldn’t. His head told him she was the one at fault but his heart just couldn’t. He stilled as much as he did before if not more. She meant everything to him. She was his world. “Khushi…” he whispered her name. “What were you thinking tonight when you decided to walk on your own?” he asked almost as if she was going to answer. “Don’t ever think of doing something like that ever again. What if something had happened to you? How would I have been able to live? You mean everything to me,” he said as a tear rolled down his cheek. “I can’t live without you. I know you think I hate you, I tried very hard but I just couldn’t. My heart wouldn’t let me because it kept telling me that you never did anything wrong. I still love you Khushi, I love you,” he whispered as his tear fell on his hand. He knew she was unconscious and wouldn’t remember anything maybe that’s why he told how he really felt. He didn’t want her to know he still loved her but he said it. There was a part of him, ASR, that hated her for what she had done. He wiped away the stray tears and put her hand down next to her gently. Karan had seen him getting up and went back downstairs.



Priya saw Arnav walking down the stairs and got up from the couch walking in his direction with anger. “What did you do to her this time? How low can you stoop Mr Raizada? What do you want from her? Haven’t you done enough?” Priya spat the questions. “Calm down Priya,” Karan said as he put a hand on her shoulder. “If Arnav did something to her he wouldn’t have brought her here. We shouldn’t be blaming him. It’s our fault, we let her walk alone.” Priya glared at Karan, “You know what he did to her and you know who he is. He’s capable of anything and I don’t trust him. I guess it doesn’t really matter what he did because Khushi is still going to be the one to suffer like she always has.” Priya ran upstairs to her room. She couldn’t see her best friend in this condition and it would just be best if she spoke to her when she was awake. “Her bag is in my car, I’ll go get it,” Arnav said as he walked outside. He was always vulnerable when she was in this condition, he couldn’t bear to see her hurt yet somehow that day he had forgotten everything he felt but now he knew that was ASR. I can’t leave her and go he thought to himself. Karan had waited by the door to get the bag from Arnav so he could leave but was shocked by what he heard, “I’ll stay with her tonight. I won’t get in your way and I’ll leave before she gets up in the morning.” Arnav said as he looked at Karan. He could see that of the two he was the more rational one and maybe he’d understand. Karan could see the pain in Arnav eyes, “Ok, there’s another room next to…” Arnav cut him off. “I don’t need a room.” Arnav said as he walked upstairs to Khushi’s room. All it took was that one moment for Karan to realize why he had done what he had. He didn’t know what happened to Khushi but Arnav had saved her. Even before everything happened he was always there when she needed him. If he hated her as much she said he did he wouldn’t be doing all this. There was only one reason. Arnav still loved Khushi, he heard him say it and he saw the pain in Arnav’s eyes because of Khushi’s condition.



Arnav walked into the room and put the bag down on the dresser. He spotted a chair next to the window and made his way towards it. He took out his phone before he sat down and called his Di to tell her he won’t be home tonight. He said it was late and they still had some things to finish up after the show so he is staying in a hotel near the hall. He looked at Khushi again after he had finished the call and leaned back in the chair. “Don’t worry Khushi, you’ll be safe tonight. I’m right here, I’m not going anywhere,” he whispered as he fell into a deep sleep. He felt the light shine on him as he opened his eyes. He looked at his watch. 6 o’ clock. He could see the sun starting to rise and decided it would be best to leave now before anyone got up. He got up and grabbed his phone and keys that he had left on the table next to the chair. He quietly closed the door behind him as he walked out and went downstairs. Everybody was still asleep so he let himself out. He got in the car and drove home. Nobody needed to know what had happened last night and where he was. He knew nobody would question him as to his whereabouts except for one person but he’d have to deal with her when he got home.



Khushi slowly opened her eyes. She looked around the room not recognizing anything until her eyes settled on her two best friends sitting at the edge of the bed. She smiled at them. “How are you feeling,” Priya asked as she and Karan helped Khushi up propping the pillow up against her back. “I’m a little shaken up but I think I’ll be alright. How did I get here?” she asked looking confused. Karan was about to answer Khushi’s question but Priya was faster, “What did he do to you last night? We should’ve never let you walk alone. God knows what he did. I’m not going to spare him just let me get my hands on him…” Karan walked to where Priya was sitting, “Calm down Priya. Relax. Why don’t you go make us some coffee while I help Khushi? It’ll take your mind of last night.” Priya got up, glared at Karan and stormed out the room as Khushi and karan laughed. “Who was she talking about?” Khushi asked as she shook her head at her friend. “Arnav,” Karan said as he looked at her. Khushi looked at him with shock as she suddenly recalled everything that had happened last night. She remembered how he had got there just in time. She looked at her clothes and noticed she still had his jacket on over her torn sari. She looked at Karan again. “He called me from your cell last night. You were unconscious I think. He asked for the address and brought you here. Look Khushi, I don’t know what happened last night but I do know that he didn’t do anything wrong otherwise he wouldn’t have cared so much. He wouldn’t have taken the trouble to find out where you’re staying and bring you all the way over here. He cares for you Khushi, he still worries about you. He wouldn’t have stayed here last night if he didn’t.” Karan said as he paced around the room. Khushi’s head shot up as she looked at Karan with surprise.

2 comments: